Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Stein Time

I ran into David Stein, an old friend and former PCV, last week and we made a plan to drink a shell.  Last night I was to meet him at SHEFA nakamal at 6.  I went early, and ended up meeting two VMF officers from Paama and storied with them for an hour or so.  The kava was finished before David got there, so we moved to Labor.

David is doing really well, he's very glad to have his Malakula family living with him here and to have a small nephew to take care of.  His business, selling solar and other forms of alternative energy to outer islands, is growing and becoming popular.  I know that my uncle Isaah, Amy's dad, is selling the solar lanterns that David's company supplies.  David also purchased/leased some land which he will leave to his family here.

We ate at the noodle place across from where I used to live across from VNPF and had a good story session.  One good one of his: he was reapplying for his residency visa, and he couldn't figure out what color hair he has or what his occupation was.  "I know I go to work every day, and I know I enjoy what I do, but I couldn't figure out what to say my occupation was."  He ended up writing down "consultant".  He asked other people what color his hair was, but couldn't get consensus: red, white, yellow, and blond were some of the responses.  He went with "reddish".  He has been living and working in Vanuatu for 14 years now, and is not a citizen.  Vanuatu does not allow dual citizenship, and since his mother is still living in the US and since he still travels from time to time, it's easier for him to continue on as a resident.

No comments:

Post a Comment