Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Swing raon long evri ples...

Last night I went to Shefa Province nakamal and met up with the PCV that is finishing up at Vaum RTC in Tahi, Paama and her boyfriend and a group of young people that run a program where they take a yacht and deliver medical supplies to clinics on rural islands.  We talked about the island, and my brother Kaison showed up for a couple shells before having to get back to business.  He used to play football for the national squad, so he's traveled a bit in the region.  Now, he drives a bus for Le Meridian and has to pick up and drop off employees at all different times, and in between he services passengers to pay for gas since he only gets paid at the end of the month.  Last year he picked apples in New Zealand, which seems to be the new thing to do here for young guys.  Not sure if it's really for the money or if it's for the experience and exposure, but I think it's more the latter.  

When the kava was finished, I walked to the spitting wall nakamal behind VNPF and had a shell, and when I came out onto the main road again by Radio Vanuatu Kaison drove by and stopped to give me a ride home.  On the way though, he wanted to drop these two Indo-Fijian USP students off and they wanted to pay with 1000vt but he didn't have change, so I gave him my 500vt note so he could make change and told him that we will just stop some place for another shell to get change.  So we dropped someone off at Tebakor and stopped in at Shepards Studio, a place I used to go a long time back.  Then we hopped back in, drove back through town, stopped at Ah Pow so I could see Papa Lani (who handed me a hot loaf of bread and some gato), and then we went back to Shepards Studio for another shell.  We continued to service until around 10, stopped again at the spitting wall for another couple shells, and storied.  Kaison really doesn't even know Paamese that well, he understands and speaks the language from South Santo much better.  He doesn't even really know most of his family.  He's only spent maybe 1 year of his life on the island.  And he's 35, wife from Paama, and two kids - 7 and 3.  I think he'd be a great football coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment